Monday 26 September 2011

An enchanted book

Every lazy Sunday, when I don't have anything big planned, starts in the same way: a regular filter coffee with cold milk and the children's section of a bookshop. I was supposed to meet a friend in Greenwich yesterday, so I decided to go a bit earlier and enjoy my personal 'lazy Sunday ceremony' in Waterstone's, just a few metres from the cozy Thames. When I'm there, two are the things I love the most, well maybe three: having a look at greetings cards, flipping through new cookery books and, of course, spot any pop-up books I still don't have in my collection.

Last week I bought a title by Robert Sabuda about Christmas - can't tell additional details as it's a gift - so yesterday I decided to look for another of his books, and it was there!

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
(Little Simon, 2006)

This is a real masterpiece, I 'wowed' at every single page! Little pieces of paper put perfectly together and building amazing buildings and scenes from the film. This time also the selection of colours needs to be mentioned: a green, purple, silver, dark sensation is the companion for a reader that will be absorbed by every single line and unexpected popping-up image. I've never seen something like this. 

The magic castle could be considered the most beautiful part of the book, with magic glasses allowing to see forbidden messages... But what I liked the most is the air-balloon section. I literally spent 10 minutes playing with those two pages. You can have a quick look at it in this trailer. 


No comments: